I love traditional basil pesto, but really any green can be used to make pesto. By making it with kale rather than basil you really boost the health properties. I also substituted walnuts for pine nuts for even more nutritional value.
So here is my healthy recipe for kale pesto. (You can easily make it without the parmesan if you are vegan). I used gluten free pasta and added roasted cauliflower and cherry tomatoes as a side to add more vegetables to the dish and less carbs.
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (or 3-4 cups packed)
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB. of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup of toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup of grated reggiano parmesan
- A food processor makes this recipe so easy. Put the greens in first and pulse – then follow by adding the rest of the ingredients in order, pulsing after adding each one.
Puree until it is the consistency you like it.
- Toss into freshly cooked pasta and serve along with sliced cherry tomatoes and roasted cauliflower.
- (To roast; brush the cauliflower with olive oil and season with salt & freshly grated pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes)
- Season the pesto dish with kosher or sea salt & fresh ground pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Serve!
Kale pesto is delicious and full of healthy ingredients.