Memorial Day is the start of the summer season, which brings picnics, barbecues and outdoor dining to mind. When I think of picnics, I think of potato salad and egg salad. My previous post was for my “Colorful Heirloom Potato Salad”, and here is my recipe for “Colorful Egg Salad”. The addition of minced vegetables adds some extra crunch and flavor to this recipe. It is very easy to make and it is delicious!
Egg Salad / 4-6 servings
6-8 hard boiled eggs coarsely chopped (just add more eggs and a little more of the vegetables for more people)
- 1/4 cup of red or orange pepper minced
- 1/4 cup of red onion minced
- 1/4 cup of shredded radish
- 1/4 cup of finely diced dill pickles
- 2 TB. of capers
- 2 TB. of chopped dill
- Mash the eggs with a fork and add the minced vegetables.
- (reserving 1 cup of the chopped eggs and 1/2 cup of the mixed vegetables, pickles and capers).
- Egg Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 TB. of dijon mustard
- 2 B. of olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Blend together well and pour over the egg, vegetable mixture, then stir together well. Transfer to a nice bowl and gently blend in the reserved chopped eggs. Top with the extra minced vegetables, pickles, capers & dill. Add some fresh ground pepper & salt to taste.
Serve over fresh mixed greens…
or spoon on top of toast and greens, or between two slices of bread!