Tabbouleh / Tabouleh / Tabouli!
This is a delicious Mediterranean dish that uses cracked wheat (bulgur) as a base. Traditionally it is made with chopped tomatoes, cucumber, parley or mint, onion, lemon juice and olive oil. It is usually served chilled with pita bread or grape leaves, alongside other Mediterranean side dishes like hummus.
I like to add extra vegetables with my versions of traditional salads. The more colorful vegetables that you add, the higher the nutritional value. So with my tabouli I added chopped red pepper, red onions & heirloom tomatoes, as well as lots of parsley & mint. I also served it on a bed of kale drizzled with olive oil and lemon. This is a wonderful and refreshing salad to serve in the summer as a side dish, or a meal in itself!
- 1 cup of cracked wheat
- 1 cup of boiling water
Let the water come to a boil. Add the bulgar and turn the heat off and cover the pan. (Boiling makes the wheat too mushy). Just let it sit until the water is absorbed (about 15 – 20 minutes) and then spoon it into in a medium bowl.
- 1 teas. of lemon rind
- Juice of 1 – 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- a dash of red wine vinegar
- freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together and pour over the cooked bulgar.
Gather your vegetable ingredients and chop into bite size pieces:
- 1 – 2 cups of chopped tomatoes (heirloom tomatoes add nice color)
- 1 cup of chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup of chopped cucumber
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint
- Pour the chopped vegetables into the bowl of cooked bulgar and stir them in. I think the secret to beautiful presentation is to add the same veggies that are “in the salad” on the top also. Cut them into slightly different shapes like slices, strips or wedges, then lay them strategically on the top. As an artist this is my favorite part!
- Add an extra drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and some more freshly ground salt & pepper. Greek olives add the perfect touch.
- Serve chilled on a bed of kale with pita bread on the side and some feta cheese crumbled on top. This is a delicious summer salad full of healthy ingredients that everyone will love!