There is nothing like a good frittata for brunch on the weekends. In fact they are a great idea for any meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner! Since I am in the Hamptons this weekend and the weather is mild, I planned a frittata to remind me of summer. I made one of my favorite combinations; tomato, zucchini and fresh basil with mozzarella cheese. Just breathing in the smell of the fresh basil makes me dream of the herb garden, tomatoes just off the vine, and the warm weather to come….
Frittatas are really easy to make and you can use almost any vegetable combination you have around. No crust is necessary, and it can be served with a crusty bread for a more filling meal. All you need are eggs, vegetables and some kind of cheese to make it really good. Of course it can be made without the cheese, but it does add a special “deliciousness” to your frittata!
enough for 4 – 6 servings
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teas. of salt
- fresh pepper
- 1 – 2 TB. of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped & sliced shallots or onion
- 1 small zucchini (thinly slices)
- 2 – 3 tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 3 – 4 TB. of grated parmesan
- 10 – 12 fresh basil leaves
- fresh thyme
* Whisk together your eggs and milk in a large bowl.
* Chop and slice the shallots, tomatoes & zucchini. Chop the herbs.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- * Whisk together the eggs and milk in a bowl
- * Pour the olive oil in a 10″ skillet & lightly brown the onions over the stovetop
- * Pour the egg mixture over the onions and let it cook for about 5 minutes
- * Arrange the zucchini and tomatoes slices over the lightly cooked eggs
- * Keep adding layers of vegetables, cheese & herbs as the eggs cook on med. low heat
- * Spread 3/4 of the mozarella cheese on top of the vegetables
- * Sprinkle some torn basil pieces and thyme over this
* Add the remaining mozzarella & the parmesan cheese on top
* Place the skillet in the oven at 375 until the middle is almost set – press the center to check when it is firm.
Put under the broiler for a just few minutes until the cheese is lightly brown and bubbly.
Sprinkle some loose basil leaves and sprigs of thyme on the very top
Add some freshly ground pepper, red pepper flakes & sea salt to taste.
Serve & enjoy!