During the summer months you crave meals that are light and refreshing. Nothing fits the bill for that better than Gazpacho soup! Gazpacho is a soup made of raw vegetables and it is served cold. It originated in the southern Spanish region of Andalusia. It is widely eaten in Spain and Portugal, particularly during the hot summers because it is so refreshing and cool.
This is a version of Gazpacho that adds watermelon to the soup along with the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. I happened to have a golden one which made the soup color a bit more of a blush shade, which turned out very pretty. (You can use the regular red color too, of course)
Ingredients:4 – 5 cups of cup of watermelon cut into pieces
4 – 5 cups of ripe tomatoes cut into pieces
1 cup of chopped red or orange peppers
1 TB. of minced jalapeno pepper
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
1/2 cup of chopped peeled cucumber
2 TB. of red vinegar
juice of 1 lime
2 TB. of pistachios
2 – 3 TB. of creme fraiche or plain yogurt
- Put everything in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Put the top of the blender in the fridge and chill, while chopping extra veggies to be used for the garnish.
- Pour the cold soup into chilled bowls and top with the extra vegetables; chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Add a squeeze of lime, a dollop of creme fraiche & some red pepper flakes.
- This was so refreshing on a hot summer day!
- Toss a few pistachios on top and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper. Serve with a baguette or some toasted bread for the perfect summer meal. ENJOY!