When you buy broccoli at the market and want to try something different with it (besides steaming or boiling), this is a delicious recipe to try. It is simple and quick to make once you mix all the ingredients together. These patties are savory and delicious and the creamy dijon topping adds a nice delicate flavor.
(makes four patties)
- 3 – 4 cups of chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup of minced red pepper (set aside a few extra slices for the topping)
- 3 TB. of minced onion or shallots
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 /4 cup of grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1 egg
- 1 TB. pf dijon mustard
- 1 TB. of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup of creme fraiche (you can substitute sour cream or plain yogurt)
- 1 TB. of dijon mustard
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
* simmer the cut up broccoli in water until soft. Drain and mash lightly with a potato masher and set aside.
Lightly saute the minced pepper and onion in a little olive oil.
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg with a fork. Add the flour, grated cheese, mustard, olive oil and some salt & pepper.
Stir the egg and dry mix together and then add the cooked and mashed broccoli and the sauteed peppers and onions.
Once everything is well mixed, form it into four patties.
Meanwhile you can put together the creamy dijon topping.
In a small bowl add the creme fraiche, dijon, juice of a 1/2 lemon and salt & pepper.
(plain yogurt or sour cream works equally well)
Saute the patties in a TB. of olive oil on a flat skillet. Cook until lightly browned on each side – flipping only once. (a few minutes on each side)
When the patties are golden, serve with a dollop of the creamy topping on top of each. Garnish with some extra slices of sauteed red peppers and extra lemon, salt & pepper.
Serve and enjoy!