Sometimes I buy produce at the grocery store just because it looks good. Then I get home and I am not quite sure what to do with it. That is when my research begins, and in this case it was what to do with baby zucchini. There were lots of good zucchini recipes online which looked good…but then I saw a few recipes for zucchini fries that caught my eye. (I am a sucker for fries of any kind!) So I made my own version by adding fresh herbs. Here is how you do it – it is simple and delicious!
Baked Zucchini Fries with Fresh Herbs
7 – 8 baby zucchini
- 3/4 cup of plain or seasoned crumbs
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 TB. of finely chopped herbs (like thyme, oregano, rosemary)
1 cup of marinara sauce
* Combine the dry ingredients above and put them into a flat baking dish.
* Cut the zucchini into thin stripes (about 1/2″ wide)
* In another bowl mix the 2 eggs together well.
* Coat the zucchini strips with the egg mixture.
* Dip the egg coated zucchini into the bread crumb mixture.
* Brush a cookie sheet with a thick layer olive oil and place the zucchini in a single layer on the pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on the edges.
Serve with a warm bowl of marinara for a quick, easy and tasty way to eat your zucchini!