This is an easy, crunchy salad that substitutes thinly sliced brussel sprouts and chopped kale for the romaine that is normally used in a caesar salad. The ingredients, along with chick peas makes it exceptionally healthy because of the nutritional properties in brussel sprouts and kale.
Ingredients for the salad: (serves 2-4)
* 2-3 cups of thinly sliced brussel sprouts
* 2 cups of chopped kale
* 1 cup of drained garbanzo beans (lightly sauteed in a little olive oil and tossed with smoked paprika)
* 1/2 cup of shaved or grated reggiano parmesan cheese
* 1/4 cup of chopped chives or parsley
* 2-3 radishes sliced into thin strips
* 2 cups of croutons (made by cubing some Italian bread and toasting in a skillet until golden)
The creamy dressing binds it all together and gives it flavor.
* 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup of olive oil
* juice of one lemon
* 1 TB. of dijon mustard
stir together and add salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
* Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and then stir in the dressing.
This salad has so many health benefits, and is delicious and crunchy as well. It is definitely a nice change from the typical caesar salad made with romaine.
Serve and enjoy!