This is the time of year when tomatoes are abundant. If you have an excess of tomatoes all coming ripe in your garden at once, you may be trying to figure out a way to use them. Yes, they are great sliced on salads and caprese style with mozzarella & basil – but roasted herb stuffed tomatoes are a wonderful way to use more than a few at a time.
Roasted Tomatoes Stuffed with Croutons, Herbs, Capers & Goat Cheese
(Preheat oven to 360 degrees)
(serves 2 – 4 depending if used as an appetizer or main dish)
- 4 – 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 – 3 shallots sliced and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- a few TB. of olive oil
- 2 TB. chopped parsley chopped
- 2 TB. chopped mint chopped
- 2 TB. chopped basil chopped
- 2 TB. chopped oregano chopped
- 2 – 3 TB. of capers
- 2 – 3 slices of toasted sourdough bread torn or cut into small pieces (or croutons)
- 1/4 cup of goat cheese (or feta cheese)
salt & fresh ground pepper
* Trim the top off each tomato with a knife and discard. Use a spoon or melon baller to remove the seeds and most of the inside leaving about a 1/2″ shell. Lightly salt the inside and turn them upside down to drain some of the juice. I used beautiful heirloom tomatoes for added color.
Meanwhile gather the rest of the ingredients. Chop the shallots and mince the onions, and coarsely chop the herbs and set aside.
Saute the chopped shallots and minced garlic in a little olive oil until soft. When golden, remove from the heat and add the chopped herbs, capers & croutons. Gently toss in half of the goat cheese and mix it altogether.
Spoon some of the mixture into each hollowed out tomato. Top with some extra herbs, a drizzle of olive oil, the rest of the goat cheese. The mint, basil and other fresh herbs give these roasted tomatoes such a delicious summery flavor, and the capers a salty touch.
Place the tomatoes on an oiled baking dish and bake for about 1/2 hour.
Before serving, toss some extra chopped herbs and capers over the tomatoes and add a few twists of fresh pepper & salt to the top.
Serve with some greens and warm, crusty bread for a delicious lunch – enjoy!