During the summer tomatoes are so abundant, ripe, juicy and beautiful! If you have a garden you know they come in fast and furious, all ripening at once. The only problem is figuring out how to use them.
Here is another good recipe with tomatoes that is easy and a delicious way to use them! It is called Panzanella Salad and is a Tuscan dish using soaked stale bread, tomatoes, onions, fresh basil & parsley, peppers, cucumbers, garlic, mozzarella & capers.
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 – 3 cups of bread cubes (stale or toasted)
- 2 large tomatoes or several cups of cherry tomatoes (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 small cucumber (thinly sliced or chopped)
- 1 – 2 shallots or a small red onion (sliced and chopped)
- 1/2 cup of bite-size mozzarella pieces
- 2 TB. of capers
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup of torn basil
Prepare the vegetables by chopping and slicing them and then set them aside.
Tear or cube the bread. Brush with olive oil and lay on a baking dish. Slide into a 350 degree oven for 5 – 10 minutes. (until lightly brown and crisp)
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 TB. of red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
In a large bowl, toss together all of the chopped vegetables and cubed bread. Drizzle the vinaigrette over that and toss together. Add the mozzarella, capers and a few grinds of salt & fresh pepper.
If you can…wait to serve this salad for at least 15 – 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb some of the delicious tomato juices and vinaigrette.
This is a fresh, delicious salad that is perfect for summer. It is a wonderful way to use garden ripe, juicy tomatoes & fresh basil and tastes like a summer day!
Serve and enjoy!