Fall is in the air, which has me in the mood to make one of my favorite autumn salads. This is not so much a recipe as a combination of ingredients that make up this delicious salad. You can change the proportions depending how many people you are serving. It is the perfect seasonal salad to serve from now through the winter. In fact we usually make a version of this for Thanksgiving dinner, as it pairs well with turkey and everything else served.
Delicata Squash & Arugula Salad with Feta, Walnuts & Seeds
(serves 2 – 4)
- greens (I used arugula, but any fresh greens work)
- 1 small delicata squash thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup of toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup of a mixture of pumpkin & sunflower seeds (toasted adds more flavor)
- salt & pepper
- 2 TB. of minced fresh or dried herbs
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of grainy mustard
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Delicata squash works well for this salad as it can be thinly sliced & the skin is tender, so once it is cooked there is no need to peel it. (Butternut squash work well also).
Thinly slice it and remove the seeds and set aside. Then thinly slice the red onion. Next saute the squash slices in some olive oil on medium/low until golden brown and tender. I added salt, pepper, a sprinkle of brown sugar and some minced herbs. Then lightly saute the red onions, and set both aside.
Meanwhile rinse and sort your greens and carefully dry them on a paper towel.
Arugula has a nice spicy, peppery taste that I love in a fall salad like this.
Next, mix in a bowl the simple salad dressing; olive oil, balsamic and mustard, salt & pepper.
Now is the fun part of assembling these beautiful ingredients. Start with a bed of the greens and then add the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle with the salad dressing.
This salad pairs well with chicken or turkey and a grain like farro or quinoa. I hope it will become a family favorite for you too.