CITRUS & FENNEL SALAD WITH GINGER DRESSING
This is a refreshing and colorful salad that makes use of the beautiful and colorful citrus fruit that is available this time of year. It would be a nice salad to serve over the holidays alongside any meat or fish dish.
Here are the ingredients you need:
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of sliced and chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup of white balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB. of honey
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- 2 TB. of grated or finely minced fresh ginger
- Mixed fresh greens (for 4 – 6 servings)
- 1 cup of sliced radicchio
- 1 cup of thinly sliced fennel (reserve some chopped fronds for the top)
- 4 oranges (I used; 1 cara cara pink one, 1 navel, 1 blood orange, 1 clementine)
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of crushed pistachios
- salt & pepper to taste
* Pour the oil into a small skillet and lightly saute the red onions until just golden and softened.
* Add the fennel seeds, honey and vinegar and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
* Remove from the heat and let it cool. Stir in the orange peel and ginger and set aside.
* Peel the citrus fruit and cut into slices and pieces and put into a small bowl. Toss in half the chopped parsley. Lightly toss with 1/2 of the dressing.
* In another bowl add the fresh greens, radicchio and fennel slices (reserving just a bit for decorating the top)
* Right before you are ready to serve the salad you can assemble it. (This is where you can get creative with the beautiful shapes and colors of the vegetables and fruit).
* First place the greens & radicchio mix in a bowl or platter. (or in separate bowls) Top that with the fennel, and then gently mix in the orange mixture. Drizzle with the rest of the dressing. Top with some chopped fennel fronds & the crushed pistachios. Sprinkle with a few fennel seeds and add a few twists of salt & fresh pepper.
This is such a refreshing and tangy salad with a delicious gingery dressing that is sure to please everyone.
Serve and enjoy!