Roasting a whole cauliflower in the oven is such an easy and delicious way to eat cauliflower. You can do it several ways – one calls for steaming it first (before roasting) to make sure it is tender, and the other way is to simply roast it. Either way works – but I decided to try the steaming first method as I heard it gave it more flavor. It was definitely tender and delicious!
Trim the bottom off the whole cauliflower to make a flat surface, but leave some of the leaves on for a nicer presentation. Place it in a steaming basket with an inch or more of water and let it steam for 20 – 25 minutes. (continue to check the water level as it boils away quickly)
While the cauliflower is steaming over the stove, you can make the dijon mustard dressing.
Dijon Mustard Dressing:
- 2 TB. of dijon mustard
- 3 TB. of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 TB. of white wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 – 4 sun dried tomatoes (cut into thin strips)
- 3 TB. of minced onion
- 1 teaspoon of crushed whole mustard seeds (optional)
- 2 – 3 TB. of toasted pine nuts (reserved for the top)
salt & pepper to taste
* Stir the first five ingredients together in a small bowl (reserve the sun dried tomato strips, minced onion, mustard seeds & toasted pine nuts for garnish) and set aside until the cauliflower is tender. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Here is my cauliflower still in it’s steamer, nice and tender after being put in a pot of water boiling water.
Next place the cauliflower in a lightly greased ovenproof dish or pan. Gently rub the mustard dressing all over the surface of the cooked cauliflower, making sure to get it in all the crevices. (Reserve some to drizzle over the top later)
Place in the hot oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown and there is charring around the leaves. When the cauliflower is fork tender and golden, carefully transfer it to a serving plate and spoon the rest of the mustard sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the sun dried tomato strips, chopped onion, toasted pine nuts & mustard seeds. Add a little more salt & pepper and cut it into wedges.
Serve & enjoy!