I am sure you have heard of a “Grain Bowl” by now because they are all the rage on instagram and in cooking magazines. But if by chance you haven’t, they are a mix of healthy ingredients all in one bowl, with grains being one of the ingredients. The other ingredients should add flavor and texture and also a protein of sort. This can all be pulled together with a dressing or sauce of some kind. The herbs and spices you use can give it an Asian, Latin, Italian or Mediterranean flair. So in other words this is a healthy, tasty one-dish meal that you can vary in many ways, depending on what you have around. There is no right or wrong way, so be creative and make it whatever you like!
Usually they include one or more of these ingredients:
GRAINS – quinoa, farro, brown rice, millet, bulgur, couscous, etc.
GREENS – kale, spinach, chard, salad greens, etc.
VEGETABLES – carrots, onions, cabbage, broccoli, yams, brussel sprouts, celery, peas, mushrooms, etc.
BEANS or LEGUMES – garbanzos, kidney beans, white beans, black beans, lentils, etc.
HERBS – parsley, cilantro, tarragon, dill, mint, oregano, basil, etc.
* other additions – a poached or fried egg, sauteed tofu, avocado slices, cooked chicken, bits of cheese, nuts, seeds
* a sauce of some sort (Asian inspired, Mediterranean, Mexican, etc.)
Grain Bowl with White Beans, Vegetables & Avocado Cream
Ingredients for the Bowl:
(2 – 4 bowls)
- 2 – 4 cups of cooked farro (cook according to the directions)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of red cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 – 2 shallots (sliced)
- 1 – 2 TB. of olive oil
- 3/4 – 1 cup of white beans
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 of an avocado (sliced)
- 1 – 2 radishes (thinly sliced or shaved)
* Prepare the farro by cooking in water until tender (according to the directions on the package) – then and set aside.
* Saute the carrots until just tender, then add the shallots and cabbage and lightly cook. At the last minute toss in the beans and spinach until just warmed through.
Ingredients for the Avocado Cream:
- 1 /2 of an avocado
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 TB. of tahini
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 TB. of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- crushed coriander seed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 – 2 TB. water
* Sesame seeds and cracked coriander seeds (for the top)
(Process in a food processor until smooth – add water for desired consistency)
* In a large bowl mix some of the vegetables into the farro reserving half for the top. Next, spoon the farro mixture into each bowl. Top with the remaining vegetables and the avocado & radish slices. Pour the avocado cream on top and sprinkle with the feta crumbles, sesame seeds and cracked coriander seeds.
Serve and enjoy this healthy meal that has everything you need all in one bowl!