This is a dish that is very easy to make and is a nice way to use one of those a big bunches of fresh asparagus in the markets this time of year. It retains the wonderful taste of the spring asparagus by simply adding a red pepper relish and a lemony yogurt sauce to bring out the flavor. Poached eggs add the final touch, although it is delicious without them as well.
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus (trim several inches off the tough ends)
- for the relish:
- 2 – 4 TB. of olive oil (use 1 – 2 TB. for the relish and more to brush on the asparagus)
- 1 – 2 shallots (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1 cup of chopped red, yellow or orange sweet peppers (into small pieces)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- for the eggs (at the end):
- 2 eggs (poached, or fried)
- 1/4 cup of shaved or grated parmesan
- for the sauce:
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 – 2 TB. of mayonnaise
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- watercress to garnish
* Lay the asparagus on a flat baking sheet (or cookie sheet) and brush well with olive oil. Add salt & pepper and sprinkle with some dried Provence or Italian herbs.
* Mince the sweet peppers and slice the shallots and mince the garlic. Lightly saute in olive oil in a skillet until golden and set aside.
* Make the sauce by combining the yogurt, mayonnaise & lemon juice in a small bowl.
* You can roast the asparagus in a 425 degree oven for about ten minutes or until it starts to get golden and lightly brown at the tips. (I sprinkled half of the parmesan along the center before roasting)
* while the asparagus is roasting you can start your poached or fried eggs, cooking until they have a runny center. Set aside.
This takes a bit of timing to be ready to plate the asparagus just as soon as it is ready to take from the oven. I used a long rectangular platter, but an oval one would work as well.
Using tongs place the asparagus on the platter first, then sprinkle the remaining parmesan over it while it is hot. Next, spoon the red pepper relish along the center. Place the poached eggs on top, and drizzle the yogurt lemon sauce over everything.
Garnish with watercress or arugula, add a few grinds of fresh salt & pepper, and serve!