My family loves a salad at Thanksgiving and this one is our “tried and true” favorite! (it works equally well at Christmastime). It is crisp and refreshing and pairs well with all of the other flavors of Thanksgiving! It is the perfect compliment to the rich & delicious dishes that are traditionally on a Thanksgiving table. It doesn’t have squash in it (which is most likely already on the table in some form), or tomatoes (which don’t really work with this meal).
This salad adds a new flavor sensation….”tart & juicy citrus”, spicy arugula, crunchy pistachios, dried cranberries and a light refreshing vinaigrette. It really cleanses the palette and adds a fresh, healthy feeling to your meal. Your family and friends will love it!
(* You might consider adding a small bowl of feta on the side (to be added as desired), if there are any vegans in the group)
- (4 – servings)
- (double the ingredients for more people!)
- a container or bag of fresh arugula
- 3 clementines (sliced into rings and then halved) (*you can also use oranges)
- 1 cup of fennel (thinly sliced and chopped)
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley (coarsely chopped)
- 1/3 cup of fresh mint (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup of pistachios (chopped)
- 1/3 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- salt & freshly ground pepper
(double the proportions for more salad)
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red or white wine vinegar
- 1 TB. of honey
- 1 teaspoon of dijon
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Make sure to make a large bowl of this salad as it will be popular. Those guests who love fresh vegetables and clean, raw food will be thrilled to have this as an option.
(And remember to offer the feta in a separate bowl if you have any vegans in your group).
If you bring this to a potluck everyone will be very happy! (make the vinaigrette and put it in a jar or cruet, but don’t dress it until right before serving).
I think this will become a Thanksgiving favorite for your family too!