I love the beautiful assortment of citrus fruits that are available at the markets in the winter. There are so many unique varieties now in all shapes and colors; ruby grapefruits, pink cara cara oranges, dark red blood oranges, pink and yellow lemons, orange mandarins & tangerines, green limes and pink pomelos – just to name a few!
This salad can be made with one kind of citrus fruit, like oranges, or a mix of them including tangerines, limes and grapefruit – all over a bed of greens & sliced fennel. The more variety you use, the more colorful the salad! The Ginger Fennel dressing below is what really gives the salad such a clean, zesty and refreshing taste
- 8 – 10 cups of fresh greens
- 4 – 5 pieces of citrus fruit (cut into 1/4″ slices with the rind cut off)
- 1 – 2 cups of fennel (sliced and chopped)
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley (chopped)
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of fennel & some fronds (finely chopped)
- 1 small shallot (minced)
- 2 TB. of ginger (finely mined or grated)
- 1 teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon and orange juice
- 1 TB. of rice vinegar
- 1 TB. of honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of lime or orange zest
- 1/4 cup of pistachios (chopped) * to sprinkle over the top of the salad
- To make the Dressing:
Saute the fennel, shallot, ginger & fennel seeds in the olive oil for 5 minutes until softened. Add the juice, vinegar, honey, salt & pepper and zest. Let cool and set aside.
To Prepare the Salad:
Arrange the greens on a platter or in separate bowls. Place the citrus slices and sliced fennel over the greens. When ready to serve, drizzle the Ginger Fennel Dressing over everything and add a a few extra grinds of salt & pepper to it. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios.
Serve and enjoy this clean, healthy refreshing salad!