This is a simple salad that does not actually need an real recipe because it is just an assembling of Mediterranean ingredients tossed into cooked farro and served over greens. It is very simple and delicious and can be adjusted with whatever fresh ingredients you have around.
Here is how to make it, but keep in mind that ingredients can be changed, and the amounts adjusted. Farro is a healthy grain that is chewy & delicious. It really adds to the texture and flavor of this salad, and the lemony, olive oil dressing pulls it all together. This is a healthy one dish meal that I hope you will enjoy!
Ingredients for the Salad:
- (the amounts depend on how many people you want to serve and can be adjusted accordingly)
- 2 – 3 cups of cooked farro (cook according to directions on the package)
- several cups of greens
- 1 cup of slice cherry tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup of fennel (thinly sliced and chopped)
- 1 carrot (sliced and chopped)
- 1/2 red pepper (sliced and chopped)
- 1/2 cup of red & white cabbage (sliced & chopped)
- a few radishes (thinly sliced)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1/2 cup of black olives (I did not have these but would have added them if I did!)
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of fennel fronds
- 1 – 2 cups of garbanzo beans
- 1/2 – 1 cup of feta cheese crumbles
- salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- salt & pepper
1) Cook the farro according to directions on the package. Place in a bowl and refrigerate while assembling the other ingredients.
2) Chop & slice the vegetables into bite size pieces.. When this is completed you can toss them lightly into the farro, along with the chickpeas. (I like to reserve some of the vegetables and the avocado and herbs to add to the salad as embellishment at the end)
3) Prepare the dressing and stir it into the farro and vegetables.
Assemble the salad by placing the greens on a platter or in separate bowls. Add the farro and vegetable mixture. Top this with the avocado, feta cheese crumbles and herbs. You can drizzle a little more of the dressing over all of this before serving and add some more seasoning if desired.
Serve and enjoy!