This is not so much a recipe as an easy idea for a healthy one dish meal. You can add any number of different types of vegetables and beans to the rice depending on what you might have on hand. If you make the rice ahead of time, all you need to do is cut up the vegetables and lightly saute them. Then toss them in with the cooked rice and your choice of beans which is mixed together wth a spicy tomato sauce Add a little cilantro and avocado to the top and you have a simple, delicious one-dish meal!
Here are the ingredients I used:
- 3 cups of cooked rice (I used brown rice)
- 1 can of beans – drained (I used kidney & white, but black beans, or even chick peas will work as well)
- 2 TB. of olive oil
- 3/4 cup of red onion (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup of carrots (sliced and chopped)
- 3/4 cup of red pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup of sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup of cabbage (sliced and chopped)
- 1 cup of corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 1 jalapeno (thinly sliced)
- 3 TB. of cilantro (minced)
* Lightly saute the vegetables above in a few TB. of olive oil
(other vegetables that could work; broccoli, zucchini, winter squash, peas, yellow squash, etc.)
*Add to the top before serving; 1 avocado (sliced into pieces)
Ingredients for the rice:
- 2 TB. of olive oil
- 3 – 4 TB. of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of prepared salsa (if you do not have any some canned chopped tomatoes will work)
- juice of 1 – 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
* Cook the rice, while you begin to chop and prepare the vegetables. Put the olive oil in a large skillet and start by lightly frying the onions, carrots & peppers until just softened. Next add the cabbage, tomatoes, jalepeno and corn gently stirring until just golden.
* Remove the vegetables from the skillet and put them aside in another bowl. Add the last 2 TB. of olive oil to the skillet and spoon the rice mixture into it keeping it on low to warm it. Spoon the cooked vegetables over the rice and gently mix it altogether. Put the lid on the skillet to make sure it is all warmed through. Before serving, sprinkle on the minced cilantro and place the avocado pieces and some jalapeno slices on top. Squeeze a little more lime over that and add some salt & fresh ground pepper.
Serve this skillet meal with a simple green salad and some toasted corn tortillas for a healthy vegetarian meal that will stick to your ribs on a cold winter’s day!
Serve & enjoy!