Spring is right around the corner and I can hardly wait for the fresh produce ahead! But right now citrus fruit is still readily available at the markets ands so are delicious golden and red beets. So I decided to create a salad with both of these ingredients which really work well together. Ripe creamy avocado adds a nice contrast to the tangy citrus and the feta cheese gives it a nice salty taste. Tossed in with fresh bitter greens, basil, pomegranate seeds & pistachios and dressed with a tangy orange vinaigrette, this combination is a winner!
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 container of mixed greens
- 1 large cara cara orange / or navel orange (peeled and sliced)
- 2 small blood oranges (peeled and sliced)
- 1 ripe avocado (cut into slices)
- 1 – 2 beets (pre-cooked either by boiling or roasting them until tender)
- 1/4 of a red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup of pistachios
Ingredients for the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of dijon
- 1 TB. of honey
- 2 TB of wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
* Prepare the Vinaigrette and set aside
* Before you start the salad you will need to cook the beets. You can roast them or boil them. I put my golden beets in a pan covered with water and simmered them gently until a fork pierced them easily. (Then refrigerate until needed.)
* Peel and slice the oranges and set aside. Slice the red onion thinly and set aside. Slice the cooked beets. Peel and cut the avocado into slices.
* Add the fresh greens and the basil to a salad bowl. Next add the cut and prepared citrus, beets, onions and avocado. Toss in the pistachios, feta and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and lightly toss the salad together.
This is a delicious and healthy salad brimming with color and bursting with flavor. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!
Serve & enjoy!